New Delhi: Activist-turned politician Arvind Kejriwal addressed a press conference in Delhi today, a day after the government ruled out an inquiry into the business deals between DLF and businessman Robert Vadra, who is the son-in-law of Congress Sonia Gandhi. The activist has termed the deals between them as “illicit” and says he stands by his accusations against them.
Here are the highlights of what Mr Kejriwal said:
– The DLF is giving loads of favours to Shri Vadra.
– How did Vadra wealth jump from 50 lakhs to 300 crores in five years?
– We were asked how the Haryana government benefited DLF.
– We are not an investigating agency.
– But the “Mango people” of this country sent us evidence and we are presenting that today.
– There is a nexus between the Haryana Government and DLF.
– Punjab and Haryana High Court said that there is malafide nexus.
– 350 acres in Gurgaon was meant for hospital. Instead, Haryana govt on March 9, 2007 allowed DLF to build an SEZ here instead.
– People, whose land was acquired, went to court, and it cancelled the SEZ.
– “Power of acquisition has been used for colourable purpose” – High Court verdict said this.
– The court said in another case also, land had been wrongly given by the state (Haryana) to DLF.
– “Offices are tilted in favour of showering favours on DLF” – the court verdict had said.
– 350 acres of Gurgaon land – worth Rs. 1700 crore – was given to DLF.
– Farmers were paid 20 lakhs per acre- and DLF got it for Rs. 5 crore.
– Robert Vadra bought 25,000 shares – and sold them back to DLF in one year.
– In this one year, we need to see what benefits DLF got.
– Haryana govt says there was an international bid. But while opening the technical bid – new conditions were imposed and bids from Unitech and Country Heights were not opened.
– But we have come to know they were much higher than DLF.
– Of 350 acres, 75 acres belonged to HUDA – which was acquired from farmers for making roads between sectors 42-54 and 43-53…and all that land was given to DLF.
– Possession was given without getting permissions from forest dept etc.
– Haryana govt made a 2031 plan – where in DLF phase 5 population density was increased from 250 to 615 – for benefit DLF in terms.
– These are farmers from Manesar who are the worst affected.
– When DLF front companies had bought land in Manesar from farmers, the Haryana govt cancelled land acquisition after all the distress selling.
– Now the farmers have filed a case and the High Court has put a stay.
– We had said there were 65 crore of unsecured loans that was given to Vadra by DLF. We dug further and found loans worth 85 crore.
– The Aralia balance sheet says 89 lakhs but the DLF response say it is 11 crore – see there are signatures of Robert Vadra.
– In Magnolia, they have filed 7 flats at 5 crores – so either the balance sheet is wrong or what DLF claims is wrong.
We have just given few examples of how Haryana govt benefited DLF? We demand a white paper from Haryana govt on this.
– I was in the Income Tax department, and this is a fitting case for a raid.
– But what do you expect in a country where the Finance Minister says an inquiry will not be done. I want to ask is Mr Chidambaram Mr Vadra’s taxman?
Former Supreme Court lawyer Shanti Bhushan:
– If a private person benefits another private person with the intent of deriving benefit from a govt – that is a crime under section 9 of the Prevention of Corruption Act.
– If someone gives many crores to a person who is influential, who is the son-in-law of the UPA chairperson, it is common sense that they want political benefits. Under the evidence Act, courts can assume this fact under sec 114.